Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Triple Effect: Proper Closure

So I know that I'm not the general population that Nickelodeon is trying to attract but I am so in love with "Avatar: The Last Airbender"

That's right, and I'm not a 15 year-old boy if you were wondering :P

But Avatar is the best thing since slice bread and at times it can be super immature, but what's life without a little fun. And that's exactly what Avatar is. It's a fun show, but surprisingly it also deals with themes of change and strength.

Alot of the characters from the show can seem a bit generic and very predictive but in reality they face many challenges along their amazingly unique journey.



The show is about a hundred year war which underlying cause is prejudice. If you haven't heard the narration that sums it all up, here it is in print from the fingers of Good Grief:
"Water... Earth... Fire... Air.
Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them, but when the world needed him most...he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang. And although his airbending skills are great, he still has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone. But I believe Aang can save the world."~ Katara


Reasons why I love Avatar--the mere creativeness that is displayed within this show it quite refreshing. I love the idea of a world in which there are benders! I also love the fights and freeze frame shots within this show. Also I love the daily struggles that each and every character on the show deals with, whether if it ranges from not feeling special, or honorable to not knowing how best to deal with a new situations. Another great thing is all the different personalities that each member of the "Avatar Team" bring to the silver screen.

My personal favorite character is Zuko. Shocking for those who know me because I hate villains. Even at the start of the show I always saw him as a jerk, but the creators found a way through the seasons to nestle him into my heart. Because as the show revealed more of the brilliance that it is I began to see the impossible struggle that came with being Zuko and eventually I was able to see the plight of his character and love him in spite of his major flaws. After seeing the journey that he made, it is impossible for one to continue to hold resentment toward him. I mean even Aang becomes able to forgive him...though he is a monk.

Another favorite is Sokka; Who doesn't love Sokka? He is the most humorous character ever and he always has the gift of ingenuity in his pocket. That's what I love about him, because he isn't the general comic relief. No! He brings so much more to the table and is definitely one of the more easily lovable characters on television. And that's why I wouldn't mind spending a day as Suki, besides her wicked sweet acrobatic moves :P
I also have to give props to Uncle Iroh, the guiding light for Zuko. He is one guy that makes the Avatar ride all the more better. Honestly if he was missing you would notice. With his silly, lazy ways interjected with witty and wise words.

Now, I know when polled everyone wants to be an airbender, because of the power to fly. But for me its all about the waterbending. 'Cause Katarra can tear up that cantena of water she has! Besides its defensive features it has a certain air of beauty to it. And be able to control anything at anytime would be sweet. Besides in my eyes it is one of the more difficult elements to be able to master because there isn't always water around to bend. And it may take less control than fire but it still takes a lot.

*Spoiler Alert*

Though I am so sad to see that the story has come to an end after 3 seasons. I understand why, and this is big for me to admit but there was no more story to tell, at least in a way that would do justice to the true and creative nature of the show. After the amazing "Sozin's Comet" (the two hour movie that closed the series) I was truly pleased with its end. Although the creators did leave open space for more adventures :) I have to say that I am looking forward to what will happen with the live action movies that have brought the imaginative mind of M. Night Shyamalan...

And if my words haven't inspired you then this surely will! Unless there's something wrong with you....
The best season of Avatar where everything finally happens:


1 comment:

Lea said...

Dude, Good Grief, I just watched a really good episode of Avatar before reading your post. It was called "The Storm", and I can definitely see how they're setting Zuko up to be more sympathetic.

This was a great post! From what little I've seen of the show so far, I agree with everything you've written. It's a show that can deal with deep themes, but at the same time not take itself too seriously.

My favorite character so far is Sokka :). I love him for all the reasons you have mentioned. He's so awesome! (Iroh also cracks me up!)

That trailer you posted was wicked awesome too! It's making me really excited now!