Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Emmy (Non-)Prediction Post

Normally when I watch the Emmys I just feel mad afterwards.  Very rarely does what I want to win, win (even if they're not the most deserving, I don't care DAMMIT!).  This year, I'm mad before they air.  Why?  Because the fact that Battlestar Galactica wasn't nominated for Outstanding Drama Series totally invalidates the Emmys as a whole, heh.  Even so, I will be watching.  Not with any kind of expectations, but I'll still at least try to enjoy them.

Here is a list of categories that I care about (so, like, half of them), with a discussion about who I WANT to win.  Not who I think is going to win...or even who deserves to win (DAMMIT!):
Outstanding Comedy Series-  Two and a Half Men?  Really?  Over Flight of the Conchords?  Or Pushing Daisies?  WRONG!  Yeah, I'm rooting for The Office.  30 Rock is totally going to win, but I thought the first season was better than the second.  If The Office doesn't win, however, it'll be ok, because they've already won for their best season.
Outstanding Drama Series-  I know Mad Men is going to win this.  Heck, I know Mad Men is probably going to win everything it's nominated for, but I am so rooting for Lost.  Lost hasn't been this good since season 1, the last time they won an Emmy for best drama.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series-  The fact that Steve Carell has never won an Emmy is just wrong.  I will root for him until he wins.  But this is actually a category with a lot of good nominees.  If Lee Pace or Alec Baldwin were to win, that would be pretty awesome as well.
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series-  Much like Steve Carell, as long as Hugh Laurie gets nominated, I will root for him.  As House, he is one of the best actors I have ever seen, and he's never won an Emmy.  That shit is wrong, yo.
Outstanding Miniseries-  I point out this category only because I had to mention that I am rooting for the John Adams miniseries every time it gets nominated.  This is strange because of the fact that I never watch miniseries, but this one totally sucked me in.  The love/hate relationship of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson was just so...epic.
Outstanding Host for a Reality-Competition Program- Um...I don't know why I care about this as much as I do, but I really want Jeff Probst to win this award.  I stopped watching Survivor three seasons ago, but watching it for so long before that made me really appreciate Probst.  He's such a huge part of the show and how and why it works.
Outstanding Reality-Competition Program-  I don't really understand why The Amazing Race always wins this.  Don't get me wrong, I like TAR.  I watched 3 seasons of it back in the day, but it has not been as good as it used to be, hence the reason I stopped watching.  I think it's time for Project Runway to get a chance.  Although, where is the So You Think You Can Dance nom?
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series-  Rainn Wilson!  Dwight is one of the greatest characters ever created for television!  Although, what the hell is up with the Chi McBride as Emerson Cod snub?  As much as I love Dwight, Emerson may have been the funniest character on TV this season.  I'm also holding out for the day that John Krasinski gets nominated.
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series-  Michael Emerson should have won this award two seasons ago, but he will have to make due with winning it now.  He is one of the creepiest, most interesting villains on any show I watch (I still wish Henry Ian Cusick had been nominated though).
Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series-  I desperately want to see Flight of the Conchords win this award just so I can see Jemaine and Bret accepting it (I miss them)!  Still, there are a lot of great nominations in this category.  I would be happy for 30 Rock to win (although it has to be for "Rosemary's Baby" if they do) or The Office or Pushing Daisies.
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series-  OMG, what?  The Emmys actually decided to nominate Battlestar for something?  "Six of One" was a great episode this season, and I'm happy it got nominated, but it wasn't even my favorite.  I'm still rooting for it, but it's a little bittersweet, because it reminds me of all the snubs BSG got in every other category. /bitter
Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music, or Comedy Program-  It's pretty much a rule of thumb for me that whenever a category for the Variety, Musical, or Comedy Programs come up, I will be rooting for Conan O'Brien or Stephen Colbert, the two funniest guys on TV. 

No comments: