Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure

Because The Office premiers in two days, I wanted to have an Office celebration every day this week.  Unfortunately, because of all the Heroes craziness yesterday, we're going to have to make due with starting today!

My first post about The Office was going to be about why exactly I love it so much.  Because I really do love this show.  I have every season on DVD, and I've seen every episode at least 3 times, with my favorite episodes seen closer to 10 times.  Still, it's hard to put into words.  I think though, it's a grand combination of many things.  Starting, for me, with Steve Carell, who I think is an absolute genius.  He never fails to crack me up, and I think everything he's in he makes infinitely funnier (I pretty much loved Get Smart because of him).  At the same time, he's just a great actor overall.  He does such a good job at showing Michael's stupidity, but also his vulnerability and his sadness (have you seen Dan In Real Life?  He's amazing in that movie).  Of course, I think all the actors are brilliant on this show.  I don't think there's one weak link in the whole cast.  They each bring something new and unique to their characters and the show.
The other big reason is Jim/Pam, but more specifically, the writers' ability to weave in "dramatic" story lines, such as Jim and Pam's relationship, with the comedic ones.  I think that's why I like this show more than 30 Rock.  Because while 30 Rock is hilarious and I love it, it doesn't really have that emotional connection with me like The Office does.  I do care about the characters in 30 Rock, but only in a superficial way (like, 'No! You can't fire Kenneth! He's my favorite character!  Where will I get my joy from!?').  While in The Office, I really genuinely care about the characters and their predicaments.  In fact, it wasn't until I started caring that I really got into the show.  I had watched the first season when it was on, but was only able to sporadically watch the second season when it aired, which at the time, was fine with me.  I only considered it a funny show that was fun to watch every once in a while.  Then I watched the episode "Booze Cruise".  The moment when Jim and Pam stare longingly at each other for 27 painful seconds was when I knew.  I felt so connected to Jim in that moment and wanted desperately for him to just tell Pam!  Tell her how he feels!  It was frustrating and heartbreaking and emotional and it was that moment right there when I officially became invested in the show.  As it's gone on, the Jim/Pam relationship has been handled absolutely perfectly, and they have very quickly become one of my favorite fictional couples in any medium.  It's the show's ability to sustain these dramatic story lines, such as Jim and Pam's relationship or Michael's loneliness or even kind of silly things like Ryan's drug use or Kevin's debt or Dwight's breakup with Angela, that make it so great.  I look forward to season 5 so much because I genuinely want to know what happened to these characters.  How did not becoming engaged and moving to New York affect Pam's relationship with Jim? How has the relationship between Michael and Holly developed, and is Michael going to get back together with a pregnant Jan?  Will Angela really uphold her engagement to Andy when it's clear her and Dwight are meant to be?  So many things to be answered...and so many things to look forward to!

And on that note, enjoy this extremely creative and awesome and amazing video featuring The Dark Knight trailer mashed up with clips from The Office:

No comments: