Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fringe

First reaction: Ew

Second reaction: Wow. I actually kind of really liked it. Besides the fact that the visuals were some of the grossest I've ever seen, it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I'm a huge fan of J.J. Abrams other shows, Lost and Alias, and I feel like this show has a good mix of elements from both. Truth is, however, I didn't really get into the show until probably the last half hour. The first hour was good (I loved the LSD/memory-sharing scene), but a bit slow and was really only drawing me along because of Walter. I still can't really believe that Denethor is on this show, but I thought he did a really good job at being the crazy mad scientist, yet also a sympathetic father, and an extremely intriguing character (I think it might of been his appreciation for Spongebob that finally got me, heh). As for the other characters, I find the lead actress a little bland, but I'm willing to give her a shot. I really like Charlie, but I think that's just because I like his actor a lot, and I'm really hoping that his character gets more exploration in the episodes to come.

The moment when I knew I'd be watching next week was the big twist at the end with John. Hey, I can't help it, I like Lost, I'm a sucker for a good twist! This, plus the stuff with Massive Dynamics and the robot-arm lady, has laid enough groundwork for the direction of the show for me to be officially intrigued. Also, the preview for the next few episodes actually had me gasping out loud, so yeah, I'll be sticking around.

No comments: