Friday, March 20, 2009

End of Line.


The end...it is here. It took a really long time for me to even start this post because I just didn't know what to say. This show has meant a lot to me in the short time it was on the air and now it is ending. Sure, we can look forward to "The Plan" movie in the fall and Caprica the series next year, but it's not the same.


It's funny, being confronted with the end has made me go back and look at where my love for this show first started. I didn't start with everyone else. I was late to the bandwagon. I started watching the Season 1 DVDs during the break between the two halves of season 3. For more perspective, the first episode of this show I ever watched live was episode 3.12 "Rapture". So I haven't been connected with this show for as long as many people have been. Instead of 5 years of my life, it's been 2. I haven't been there from the beginning, but that doesn't mean this show doesn't mean as much to me as if I had. I remember on a whim buying the first episode "33" on iTunes, not really knowing much about it except that it had been lauded as "the best frakking show on television." I had no idea there was a miniseries I was supposed to watch first, and therefore was extremely confused when the show started with the notion that the viewer was familiar with the mini. I knew I was confused, but I also knew I really liked what I saw, and after watching the second ep, "Water", I went out and bought the Season 1 DVDs. I think I went into the show at a slight disadvantage however, because with "33" being my introduction to the show and not the miniseries, most of the revelations of the miniseries weren't surprising to me. I've heard from multiple people that the moment where Boomer walks out at the end of the mini, revealing herself to be a cylon, was what got them hooked, but for me, I already knew that big revelation. I enjoyed the first season immensely, but it wasn't until the finale of season 1, "Kobol's Last Gleaming", when I really got "hooked". Everything about that episode: the awesome space battles, the talks about religion, Lee turning against his father, Kara finding the arrow, the Girl!Fight with Six, Helo and Sharon and betrayals and pregnancy, Boomer stepping onto that ship, the ruins of the opera house morphing into the beautiful light-filled opera house of Kobol, the music swelling in the background, Gauis and Six finding the baby, and lastly, Boomer's handshake turning into a gun, the three shots ringing out through Galactica as the crew weeps over Adama's body. Everything about it was amazing.


So what can I say about the show in general? What does it really mean to me? Well, I think it is probably the best show on television at the moment. Or at least, the best show I've ever seen. This show really made me think about things in ways I never had before. It took characters who I initially hated and then turned them into one's who I now can't bear to let go. I used to hate Tigh, but somewhere along the way, they turned him into one of the most complicated and fascinating characters on this show, one who I still disagree with from time to time, but who I love just the same. The special effects are amazing, the set design is amazing, the music is amazing, the cast is absolutely frakking amazing!


I know everyone's going to be doing their 'best moments' lists, and I can't wait to read them, but I don't think I can do it. Choose only a handful of best moments? I'll be here all week! So instead, for fun, a little bit of generalization for ya:
Favorite characters: Gauis, Helo, Kara, Six (all variations), D'Anna, Athena, and Doc Cottle :)
Favorite 'ships: Helo/Athena (OTP!), Kara/Sam (when she's with Sam), Kara/Lee (when she's with Lee), Gaius/himself, Gaius/Caprica Six, Adama/Roslin.
Favorite episodes:
1.10 "The Hand of God"
1.12 "Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 1"
1.13 "Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 2"
2.07 "Home: part 2"
2.10 "Pegasus"
2.12 "Ressurection Ship: Part 2"
2.15 "Scar"
2.18 "Downloaded"
2.20 "Lay Down Your Burdens: Part 2"
3.04 "Exodus: Part 2"
3.07 "A Measure of Salvation"
3.09 "Unfinished Business"
3.20 "Crossroads: Part 2"
4.08 "Faith"
4.12 "Revelations"
4.15 "The Oath"


So how do I end this extremely melodramatic post? How about with this: I've gotten about 5 people hooked on this show. Some who have never watched a single thing that could be called "sci-fi" in their life, but who fell in love with this show just the same. It subverts genres and it breaks down stereotypes. It empowers women and it reflects real social issues of our time. It is important, it is timeless, and it is ending today. It may be over, but it will never be forgotten. SO SAY WE ALL!

No comments: