Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dollhouse 1.06 "Man on the Street"

I know everything's crazy from the Battlestar finale, but I had to talk about the latest Dollhouse, because it was really pretty dang good. It had been advertised as the one that "changes everything" and that pushes the show into the right direction, but I was skeptical. I thought there may have been a little too much hype, but actually, I really liked it. It was the first episode of this show that made me go "wow. I actually want to watch this show." And that's a relief because I always wanted to like the show, it was just hard for me because of the first 5 episodes.

Funnily enough, I think the episode was good because it focused on Echo so little, heh. And maybe that's being a tad bit unfair, since really it's more about the fact that it didn't focus on one of Echo's cases, but I was still glad that the focus shifted elsewhere, particularly in setting up more of the myth-arc. But I was extremely glad it focused mostly on Ballard, heh. And yes, totally and completely biased here since I view each episode with my Tahmoh-colored glasses (and thank you Joss for making him shirtless a good majority of the episode!), but I liked seeing more of Ballard as a character rather than just a plot-device. And I absolutely adored his relationship with Mellie a lot and am kind of really really upset that she ended up being a doll :(. Like, I was all shipping them together when they were in bed, and now I'm kind of crushed. It was a really good twist and I'm intrigued to see where it goes, but it also makes me sad.

Some other thoughts:
  • I really like the relationship that's developing between Victor and Sierra. Seeing as how they're my favorite dolls, I can't wait to see how that develops.
  • Sometimes I ship Amy Acker's character (what is her name?) with Boyd. I like that pairing.
  • Romo Lampkin! I greatly enjoy seeing him on this show.
  • There is no way in hell someone like Eliza Dushku could take on a guy like Tahmoh. I know she had special ninja skills or whatever, but she didn't have super powers! He's huge!
  • It feels wrong that I thought Patton Oswalt's storyline was so sad and touching. Because it was totally skeevy and wierd, yet I was kind of happy for him that he got his fantasy to come true.
  • I still kind of want to punch Topher in the face, even though he looks like he could be Marian Hossa's brother.

No comments: