Saturday, March 7, 2009

Battlestar Galactica 4.18 "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"

I wasn't going to post about this episode of Battlestar, but then Zozizzle said I had to even when I explained to her that it was going to consist mostly of me being overly emotional and incoherent. She then said that she enjoys exploiting my emotional vulnerabilities, and instructed me to use some bullet points for coherency. So here you go:
  • Much like the last few have been, this episode was still very much a set-up episode. It seems like all of the major answers are being left for the finale and it's making me a little worried that there won't be enough time for everything or that it will be rushed. Not too worried though. Ron Moore is a genius....
  • and also a bastard! This show is just so unbelievably depressing and after listening to his podcast last week, I know that Moore takes some kind of sick pleasure out of it. Do my tears amuse you, Mr. Moore? Do they?!
  • Even when it is depressing though, it's still SOOOOOOO amazing. Hurts so good.
  • I really liked this episode despite the fact that it was a set-up episode. It was very slow moving, but that helped in making it such a strong character piece.
  • I think Kara wanted her secret out there. If she didn't, why did she tell Gaius fraking Baltar of all people?
  • That scene with Kara and Sam where she was calling him "her Sam" was so sweet...and then she almost shot him in the head.
  • Sam as a hybrid is so weird! I don't want him to stay like that forever! I want him to grow his hair back and be sexy again!
  • Oh god, Boomer. Boomer! I HATED her at the beginning of the episode. Having to hear little Hera calling out for her mom was absolutely heartbreaking, and then Boomer was being such a massive bitch again that I couldn't wait until someone airlocked her ass. But of course, being Battlestar, characters can never be just black and white, so they made Boomer bond with Hera and even cry when handing her off to Cavil. PLEASE HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART, BOOMER!!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!
  • More heartbreak? Helo and Athena. Oh god. They are my OTP, I wan't them to be happy more than anything, but now Athena can barely even look at Helo and Helo feels so guilty and their whole situation is so TRAGIC! That scene where Helo begs Adama to let him take a raptor was so sad it made me cry and ugh...I hate seeing that family like this. :(
  • Where was the Chief? I wanted to see fallout from last episode.
  • I LOVED the scene between Gaius and Caprica Six. It's been so long since those two have had a scene together and there's so much history between the two. I hope they have a lot more screentime together.
  • Roslin and Adama are a bunch of pot heads!!!
  • More seriously though, that scene between them was very beautiful. I love how she told him she felt at home by his side in Galactica.
  • Another beautiful scene was the one between Kara and Lee. That scene wasn't even romantic to me either, it just showed how strong their friendship was. Kara putting her picture up on the wall was really nice too.
  • While I thought the Adama/paint scene was a little overdone, I loved that shot of him and Tigh sitting on the couch afterwards drinking to Galactica. So poignant.
As much as I liked this episode, it was really hard for me to watch and very very sad. And I realized that it wasn't really because what was happening within the episode was so sad, but because I know the show is coming to an end soon and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. I can't wait until the next episode to see what happens, yet at the same time I don't want it to come because I never want this wonderful show to end.

2 comments:

MightyMaxine said...

I completely agree it was a set up episode, and besides that fact I still liked it.

It also was very tragic and I have to say that the whole thing with Sam just hurts me so, because I really want him to be healthy and the silly Sam that he was.
Besides hybrids just creep me out (*shudders*)

Also you know that I have to disagree...Lee and Kara are so the OTP the show. And it was such a beautiful exchange between them--its just weird how everything is going down with them, especially on her part.

I shall miss the Galactica but it should be interesting to see how they make life viable on the bayship.

Also WHERE WAS THE CHEIF?? And I truly hope the Boomer does the right thing.

Only 2 epis left I can't believe its coming to an end. I fear that they will rush...but we shall see.

Lea said...

Oh I know that Lee/Kara is your OTP. And actually, I really like them together (although there are times when I like Kara/Sam too), I just didn't find that last scene "romantic", but instead just really beautiful and nice and showed how he will always be there for her no matter what. Whether it's as a friend, a lover, etc.

I read that there was supposed to be a scene this ep with Chief in the brig, but they cut it out. I'm guessing they'll talk about it next ep since it seems pretty important.

Only 2 more!!! How can we handle it?! I think I'm going to go through withdrawal.