Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quick thoughts on the American Idol performances

The clear loser of tonight was Kara for writing that shitty coronation song. Wow. Terrible. I was embarrassed for both of them that they had to sing that.

Adam: "Mad World". This is one of my favorite Adam performances and I think he performed beautifully on it yet again. I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the trench coat and the dry ice, but it was still very good. Didn't quite pack the punch of the first time he did it (I'm not sure he connected with it as well), but still good.

Kris: "Ain't No Sunshine". I was so happy he picked this song. SO HAPPY! This was the song that made me fall in love with Kris in the first place and hearing it again was just magical. He sounded fantastic and it may have even been better than the first time he sang it. I just loved it to death! It may have been my favorite performance of the night.

Adam: "A Change Is Going To Come". This sounded really great too. I completely disagree with Paula that it was one of his best performances, but it was good. There were moments in there where his voice sounded a little hoarse and off a bit, but he connected with it for the most part. I really wouldn't have picked this song for him though and was kind of disappointed that we didn't get a "crazy" Adam performance tonight.

Kris: "What's Going On". This is where my extreme bias comes in, because I absolutely LOVE it when Kris does performances like this. I loved it when he did it with "She Works Hard For The Money" and "Heartless" and I loved it here. As soon as I saw Kris with his guitar, surrounded by percussionists, I was in heaven. He put his own spin to the song and added sufficient emotion to the lyrics (particularly when he stopped to sing the lyrics "war is not the answer"). I hated that Simon said the performance was "too small", because well, what the hell did they expect Kris to do with a low-key song like that? He didn't pick the song after all. I liked this a lot better than Adam's second song, but then again, I'm biased.

Adam and Kris: "No Boundaries". I'm doing them together because I don't really know what I can say about this song. Neither of them sounded very good. With Adam, he seemed to lose the lyrics a lot and was a bit "pitchy" as Randy would say. The range of the song was way too big for Kris and he seemed to really be stretching to hit some of those high notes. However, while Adam was more technically proficient with the song, Kris did seem to connect with it a little more and you could tell he was really, really trying. I can't fault either of them for their performances however, because that was just a shitty ass song that I don't think either of them could have done anything with. Can you please go now, Kara?

Overall, besides the coronation song, I thought this was a great finale, with both boys giving fantastic performances that they should be proud of. I can't wait for tomorrow no matter what the outcome is! Kradam has already won, ya'll!

No comments: