Monday, May 18, 2009

Finale Roundup, Part 2

Some more thoughts on some recent finales.

Supernatural
4.22 "Lucifer Rising"-

Fantastic. Fan-fucking-tastic! I was a little skeptical about this finale because I wasn't too crazy about the episode prior, plus, I was unsure about the whole angel/demon war storyline brewing this season, but I really liked this. It was exciting, thought-provoking, and emotional. Supernatural generally really impresses me with its finales, and while I don't know if this was my favorite of all the seasons' finales, I found that it came together really well. So much of the show this year has been devoted to the growing rift between Sam and Dean, and while this episode exploited that a lot, it also reinforced more than any other episode this season, just how much those two really love and care for each other. I expect things might be a little tense between them next season, but there was never any doubt watching this that things will be OK between them eventually. I also thought the mytharc stuff with the 66 seals/Lillith/the angels/Chuck the prophet/Azazel was really cool. There are times that storyline turned me off this season because it was confusing, but it all made sense in the end and had a really fascinating conclusion. It's interesting that even now the show is still bringing together the mythology of Azazel and the "special children" from season 1. It's also interesting that Ruby was a bad guy all along. I was unsure how I felt about it at the time because I've always liked Ruby, but the more I think about it, the more I like it, because it finally gave Ruby something to do of importance, instead of just being Sam's "sidekick". Don't really know where they're going to go next season with Lucifer rising and all, but I'm excited about it all the same. I heard that next season might be this show's last, and while that saddens me, I'm happy that the show can go out on top. Because as of right now, it's one of the most rewarding, creative, and fun shows on television. Y'all need to start watching!

24 7.23 & 7.24 "6:00 AM- 8:00 AM"-
I haven't been blogging about 24 at all this season, but I have been watching and enjoying season 7. I didn't like this season as much as previous seasons, but I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that each season of 24 loses a bit of its luster. I was obsessed with 24 back in the day, and I think the first 5 seasons of the show are some of the best seasons of television ever. Season 6 however was....not good, and then the Writer's Strike made us wait 2 years for a new season, so I lost my obsession, but I think I'll still always like this show. It's just so exciting! How can you not like Jack Bauer kicking ass and taking names? Although, surprisingly, the finale made me get emotional on more than one occasion. Particularly anything with Tony. Oh Tony...I was so happy you came back, but my emotions kept getting toyed with as you went from bad to good to bad to maybe good in the end. I like that Tony was just doing everything for revenge, and that while he did extremely bad stuff, maybe he wasn't entirely evil. He also survived! Was not expecting that. Tony was, and I think always will be, my favorite character, and as such, this season was a roller coaster for me. I hope that he becomes good again and him and Jack can be best friends forever like old times! I also liked that Olivia got her comeuppance in the end, but was extremely sad for President Taylor because of it. I like her. I think she may have ended up being one of the better presidents on this show (also, was the show setting up a little Taylor/Ethan? Eh? Eh?). Overall, I liked the finale, even though I found the ending of the episode a bit strange. There wasn't a huge cliffhanger like a lot of seasons have, but a lot of little cliffhangers. That last shot with Kim and Jack was sort of anticlimactic, and we still have no idea what happened with Renee and Wilson. Still, I'll probably be watching again next season. I just can't quit this show!

No comments: