Tuesday, May 12, 2009

American Idol Top 3 Finalists Perform: Vote for talent! Bring Kradam to the finale!

So, before we begin, some laughs:

Why you should vote for Kris and Adam on American Idol: An illustrated thesis. Hilarious.

Why I hate Danny Gokey [RAP]. Fantastic.

25 Reasons to vote for Kris Allen.
Wonderful.

This week's 3 part Entertainment Weekly Idolatry. Amazing. (As an aside, you all need to go back and watch all the previous episodes of Idolatry. I look forward to watching Michael Slezak's take on the show almost more than the show itself! They are also the ones who originated the "Put the GO in Gokey" movement, and have been huge supporters of this season's underdogs, Kris and Allison. Go watch!)

Before we begin again, I have to bring up something silly. I went back and looked at all my older American Idol posts recently, and I noticed that the level of swearing increased exponentially on each post, heh. Because Zozizzle and GoodGrief still try to make this somewhat of a "family blog", I'm going to try and not swear or keysmash as much as I have been, heh. Sometimes I can't help it though! I've come to the slow realization that American Idol is mostly filled with pain and heartbreak. I have found the little tiny bit of good in it, but mostly, I still kind of hate this show. Especially after last week when I was never more mad or upset over an episode of a show in my life! Let's hope this week is better, yes?

And here we go! Oh Kris honey, the bus is coming for you tonight no matter how well you do. Don't let them get you down though! Two songs tonight: Judges choice and contestants choice.

Judges choice first. I actually already know what the judges picked for each contestant, so now I'm just anticipating what they're going to do with it. Surprisingly, I think Danny got the worst song choice.

Danny: Paula chose "Dance Little Sister" by Terence Trent D'Arby for him. Danny didn't know the song, heh. I had never heard of the song either actually. But when I looked it up, it definitely fits his voice. Ok, so this performance is typical Danny. He's powering through it. It's not that he's singing it badly, he just sort of...yells it. He's scatting with a saxophone player on stage. I hate saxophones. It's pretty upbeat and of course, he's dancing. It wasn't bad at all, but it was pretty much what Danny does every week. LOL Kara is critiquing his dancing! This is the first time I think I've ever liked Kara, heh. Simon is being kind of harsh to Danny....and I love it!

Kris: Randy and Kara picked "Apologize" by OneRepublic. I think this is a pretty good song choice for him. I like that they went with something more current for him. He's playing the piano. He changed the song a little, but it still has that "hip-hop" sound. His voice sounds fantastic! There are a few bum notes in there, but for the most part it's great! He's singing it pretty straight though. Not really changing it too much. Kara! You chose this song! How can you criticize the arrangement when you chose the song?! And how can you criticize Kris for not changing the song, when Danny just sang a karaoke version of his song? OMG did Simon just support Kris? I...don't know what to do with this. The judges have gone insane!

Adam: Simon picked "One" by U2. He's got the "Mad World" lighting going for him. The beginning sounded really really good, but I did not like the screeching in the middle. Normally I don't mind when Adam "screams", but I don't know, he kind of lost me for a bit there. Not my favorite Adam performance. Did I miss something? Normally I like Adam, but I was underwhelmed. Wow, the judges are being extremely annoying right now. It's not that they're praising Adam, it's the way they're doing it. Can't they just critique the performances without acting like children? God! I want to KILL Kara.

Danny: His pick is "You Are So Beautiful". This song always reminds me of the movie The Little Rascals. Yes, I'm a giant dork. This is such a typical Danny song choice. Sappy and cheesy. Really really slow and kind of boring. His voice sounds good though because he isn't shouting....and now he's shouting. Should have seen that coming. That was pretty good, I guess. I think this may have been one of his better performances actually. It was still boring though, and he did nothing special with the song. The judges love him. Blech.

Kris: "Heartless" by Kanye West! What? WHAT?! I never in a million years thought Kris Allen of all people would pick this song. It's just him and an acoustic guitar! He totally rearranged the song! This is so cool! I've never heard the song sung like this. No one else on this show can do what Kris just did. Wow. I loved it! Amazing. This just proves how musically talented he really is. He played two instruments tonight! No one else can do that! The judges loved it! Yay! Go Kris go! I'm so proud of him!

Adam: He's singing Aerosmith lol. Show us how Aerosmith is done, Adam! We need to erase what Danny did to Aerosmith last week. "Cryin'". Now this is a more upbeat Adam. Not as crazy as other Adam performances though, which is probably a good thing for him at this stage. Pretty good. His voice sounds great. I think I liked it better than his first performance. Still didn't love it though. The judges did, of course. Is it just me, or was Adam kind of off tonight? Whoa...did Simon just beg people to vote for Adam?! Strange.

Final thoughts: So....that was sort of underwhelming, yes? I think I expected both Kris and Adam to totally blow it out of the water, but I think Kris was the only one who came close to doing that. "Heartless" was definitely the best performance of the night by far, and for that I think he "won" the night, even though his "Apologize" wasn't the best performance of his (I still liked it though). Even so, Adam was way WAY better than Danny, who was just sort of...blah. Like always. If there's any justice in the world, we will get our Kradam finale! Please make it so, America!

No comments: