Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dollhouse 1.13 "Epitaph One"


"Epitaph One" was the unaired 13th episode of Dollhouse that is only available on the DVD (but which I watched online anyways). The circumstances between why the episode was even made is confusing, but all you need to know is that it was made, there are apparently no plans on airing it, and that that is a damn shame, because this was by far the best episode of Dollhouse I've ever watched. For the first time, I'm actually excited for the new season to start.

The episode takes place 10 years into the future and stars Felicia Day (Penny from Dr. Horrible), and a group of people trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where the technology from the Dollhouse has caused the world to go insane, with people being imprinted against their will and 'actuals' being the few people who have been able to keep their identity. But what's most important is the flashbacks to the 10 years between the end of season 1 and this episode. We get little glimpses into what happens to the characters we've known from the show. Echo has apparently found a way to resist the imprinting, Paul is working with her, Alpha has been supposedly helping them, Claire has a relationship with Boyd, Topher has gone crazy, Sierra and Viktor gain identities and have hooked up, Claire fully becomes Whiskey. What I was seeing was insane, and honestly, I cannot freaking wait to see how each of these characters get to this point. All of a sudden the interest I have in this show has gone through the roof, because what is apparently coming up on this show seems so interesting. I really cannot wait to find out how Echo escapes the Dollhouse and how her and Paul were going to save everyone (and did they actually hook up?), and to see just how this terrible future came to be.

I wasn't going to watch this episode, because honestly, Dollhouse was a huge disappointment for me this year, but I'm really really glad that I did, because not only was it a fantastic episode of television, but it finally piqued my interest enough to make sure I'm definitely watching in the fall.

2 comments:

zozizzle said...

I never even knew this episode existed, but I'm glad you wrote about it, mind grapes. I just finished watching it, and I have to say...I was riveted! I think this episode gave a glimpse of the outcome in a smart way.
THIS is the Dollhouse I've been waiting to see (and after seeing this episode, I can't wait to see more of it!). Hopefully, Fox won't sideline other great episodes like this one in the future...

Lea said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad you watched it! It was pretty great, wasn't it? So creative and interesting. I'm finally excited about this show, and I hope it keeps up the quality from this episode.