Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hey kids! It's an American Idol "rewatch": Motown Week Edition

This should be my last rewatch post, since it's the last episode that I hadn't originally watched when it aired. I don't think I'll be writing about any of the other weeks, since I started writing about this show the week after Motown week aka the magical week known as Top 9 week aka the week I became a Kris fan and he took over my life forever. Still, you never know :)

Once again, before this rewatch, I had seen Adam and Kris's performances via YouTube. Everyone else's was completely fresh. I totally love this episode because of Smokey Robinson. He was so cute!

* Matt Giraud - “Let’s Get it On” by Marvin Gaye
* Kris Allen - “How Sweet it Is” by Marvin Gaye
* Scott MacIntyre -”You Can’t Hurry Love” by The Supremes
* Megan Joy - “For Once In My Life” by Stevie Wonder
* Anoop Desai - “Ooh Baby Baby” by Smokey Robinson
* Michael Sarver - “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations
* Lil Rounds - “Heatwave” by Martha and the Vandellas
* Adam Lambert - “Tracks of My Tears” by Smokey Robinson
* Danny Gokey - “Get Ready” by The Temptations
* Allison Iraheta - “Papa Was a Rollling Stone” by The Temptations

I think this was one of Matt’s best performances. His voice sounded fantastic and he laid off the falsetto and the vibrato for the most part. I think I’m just now coming to the realization however that I don’t really like the tone of Matt’s voice. He sang this song perfectly, but I wasn’t blown away by it because I just don’t find his voice that pleasant to listen to. At least as far as his live performances are concerned. His studio versions tend to be a lot better.

Of course Kris had to go second. Why would I think otherwise? For some reason, “How Sweet it Is” is one of his performances I’ve watched the least, yet the studio version is one of the ones I’ve listened to the most. They’re both really different from each other, but I just LOVE his falsetto in the studio version. So pretty. This is not to say however that I don’t like his performance of “How Sweet it Is”. I think I just always kind of forget about it. But really, it’s another fun, adorable, and extremely creative performance. And actually, I think it has one of his best vocal performances. His voice sounds absolutely flawless, and I kind of am in love with that last note because of the adorable side jaw thing he does, and the fact that Anoop made fun of it on that one results night. I also love Smokey Robinson’s total fanboying over Kris (is it just me or did Smokey seem the most excited about Kris?), and Kris’s weird number shirt, which is probably the most “out there” thing he’s ever worn on the show.

Oh Scott, Scott, Scott…what are we going to do with you? Why do I love you so much even when you sound terrible?

Megan is so fucking hot. Her outfit this week is my favorite outfit worn by anyone during the whole season. Too bad her performance sucked so bad. Yikes.

I do like when Anoop does his ballad thing, but I was surprised at how much I didn’t really like his performance this week. I thought it was kind of pitchy and boring. I think Anoop has a really beautiful, gorgeous, smooth voice, but the problem is, it’s not very unique at all. I tend to forget about his performances a lot because of it.

Is it wrong that I actually think that Scott and Megan’s performances were worse than Michael’s? I don’t think Michael was ever that bad. He really never had any train-wreck performances, and I think he does have a pretty nice voice. Do I think he should have lasted longer? Not really. Like Simon said, he wasn’t terrible, he just wasn’t good enough.

So…Lil’s always been bad, huh? Besides her semi-finals performance, I haven’t liked a single Lil performance during the entire competition. Normally I start watching her performances and then end up fast forwarding through them.

“Tracks of My Tears” is my favorite Adam performance of the whole competition. Amazing. That’s all I can say about it. I love it so much.

Besides Danny Gokey’s existence, what makes his performance so awkward to watch is that he didn’t follow Smokey’s advice at all even though he said he was going to. Douche. Also, besides Paula (Danny’s biggest fan), tepid response from the judges tonight (especially Simon). Strange.

Allison’s voice is amazing. Amazing. But…if there is one criticism for her, it’s that her enunciation is terrible. I couldn’t even understand the majority of what she was singing this week, heh. Doesn’t really matter though of course because it’s just so goddamn impressive listening to her sing.

No comments: