Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Review

I actually was able to see this movie yesterday at an early screening (and by early, I mean like, 3 hours early, heh), but wasn't able to write this review until today. Mostly because I was just too darn excited! I love Harry Potter. Love the books, love the movies, love everything about them. I had to physically calm myself down last night I was so excited to see this movie. So...this review is going to be hard because I pretty much just want to type AASLDKJFASDLKJFSALD;JFALSJF;SALDFJ over and over again for everything. I'll try to stay coherent, but I think this review might get a bit fangirly, heh.

There be spoilers ahead!

First, I thought the adaptation as a whole was great. When you get down to it, it was really quite faithful to the book. There weren't changes so much as omissions. The removal of the memories of the Gaunts and some of the Horcruxes seem like things that could be brought up in the 7th movie if they need be, so it didn't bother me that much. There were times when I thought the ending was a bit rushed-- I would have liked to have seen the Death Eaters fight in Hogwarts. I also wish the last conversation between Snape and Harry had been longer like in the book, and I was kind of dissapointed the funeral wasn't in there. BUT having said all that, I wouldn't have changed anything that was in the movie.

As a film, I thought it held together remarkably well. I liked the 5th movie a lot, so I really like David Yates and what he's brought to the franchise. He brings a kind of sophistication to these movies that some of the earlier ones lacked. There were many times during the film where I found myself on the edge of my seat, and I think it's Yates's ability to build the tension that had me so absorbed in the movie, even when I knew what was about to happen! Of course, the cinematography was also dark and moody and perfect, and the special effects were, once again, fantastic.

The biggest joy in the movie for me, was the acting. Dear lord, do I love the actors in this movie. Of the younger actors, Rupert Grint is my favorite. The guy is so funny and charismatic and has a great future ahead of him! I love him. I've always been highly impressed with Daniel Radcliffe, and I was surprised by how blown away I was with Emma Watson. I've given that girl a lot of flack in the other movies, but her crying scene in this movie was the best I've ever seen her act, and was one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie because of it. You go, Emma! Sorry I ever doubted you! It was Tom Felton as Draco however that really left the biggest impression with me. I absolutely hate Draco in the books, but felt so unbelievably bad for him this movie, because Tom makes him feel so much more human. During the final confrontation, you could feel his pain so much that he made me cry. I'm really looking forward to what he's going to do in the next movie.

As far as the adult actors go, nothing, and I mean nothing, can top Alan Rickman. He. Is. Amazing. I actually just sat here for like 10 minutes trying to think of things to type about him, but couldn't because there are no words that can describe how amazing he is. He is beyond scrumtrelescent. He is a God amongst men, and we are the mere mortals who do not deserve to be in his presence. I sound like a crazy person right now, but seriously! I am in love with this man and what he does with the Snape character! Gosh!

I've always liked Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, but have sort of understood where the haters were coming from with him. No longer. He was perfect in this movie. Absolutely perfect. Book confession time: I never really liked Dumbledore and didn't cry when he died. Movie confession time: From the moment Harry meets Dumbledore on the astronomy tower before they apparate to the end of the movie, I cried my eyes out because of knowing Dumbledore's fate. Gambon gave Dumbledore just the right amount of compassion and quirkiness that I was dreading every step closer to his death. Haters to the left, people! New Dumbledore is awesome!

Jim Broadbent was also really great as Professor Slughorn. Very funny, but also very sad and insecure. The scene in Hagrid's hut was a perfect demonstration of this, with him falling all over himself drunk one minute, to making me tear up a little bit with his story about Lily the next. Harry Potter really really lucks out with these older British actors.

Also shout out to Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix who is absolutely awesome, and actually makes me sort of want to root for the bad guys. I also thought the girl who played Lavender was hilarious, and an awesome find. The two kids who played the different Tom Riddle's were fantastic and so so creepy, and made both their scenes downright chilling. Last but not least, huge props to Evanna Lynch, who freaking is Luna Lovegood. You cannot convince me otherwise.

And here's where I get a bit fangirly: This movie was a Ron/Hermione shippers dream! Luckily for me, I'm a huge one so I spent a fair amount of the movie squeeing into my fists from excitement! Ah I love those two, and there was sexual tension galore in this movie. Sometimes it felt like even more than in the book! It made me very happy. Also, Lupin/Tonks what? I'm not a huge shipper of the two (although I do like them together), but I LOVE me some Lupin and was very surprised that they kept in the fact that those two were a couple. Movie needed more Lupin though.

Ah, there was more I wanted to say, but I forgot. I suck at movie reviews, but I hope you leave this post with a crazy strong desire to Go. See. This. Movie...NOW!

No comments: