Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hey kids! It's an American Idol "rewatch": Country Week Edition

I know you're all sick of me talking about American Idol. I, however, am not sick of me talking about American Idol...and I'm not really sure when I'll be, heh. Please feel free to skip this post at your leisure.

It's rewatch time! Country week! I'm pretty sure I didn't watch any of this episode when it originally aired. I had, however, already watched Kris and Adam's performances on YouTube before this rewatch.

Anyhoo, here are the performances:
# Michael Sarver -”Ain’t Goin’ Down Til the Sun Comes Up” by Garth Brooks
# Allison Iraheta - “Blame it on Your Heart” by Patty Loveless
# Kris Allen - “To Make You Feel My Love” by Garth Brooks
# Lil Rounds - “Independence Day” by Martina McBride
# Adam Lambert - “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash
# Scott MacIntyre - “Wild Angels” by Martina McBride
# Alexis Grace - “Jolene” by Dolly Parton
# Danny Gokey - “Jesus Take the Wheel” by Carrie Underwood
# Anoop Desai - “You Were Always on My Mind” by Willie Nelson
# Megan Joy Corkrey - “Walking After Midnight” by Patsy Cline
# Matt Giraud - “So Small” by Carrie Underwood

While it was still pretty darn good, this wasn’t my favorite Allison performance, but jeez could she be more adorable? The little dance she did for Randy Travis? God, I love her so much. I also spent the entire time thinking about how much I covet her hair and outfit. Girl is hot! I can’t believe she was in the bottom 3 for this week :/

Damn, but Kris and Allison get paired up a lot, don’t they? Makes sense if you think about it…

I know Kris has said that he wasn’t a secret ~stealth contestant, strategizing all the time, but I kind of don’t believe him. Because this week, like many other weeks, was another example of him doing the exact perfect thing he needed to do. The boy clearly knew what was up. I have to point out the fact that this was the only time….let me repeat, THE ONLY FUCKING TIME, that a judge told Kris he had a shot of doing well in the competition. The judge was Simon, who genuinely seemed pretty shocked at his positive reaction to Kris’s performance (it’s probably my favorite judges feedback Kris received during the whole competition). It is still kind of astounding to me that this was the one time he ever got such feedback, but I’ll just ignore my bitterness and bask in the wonderfulness of “To Make You Feel My Love”. Because seriously? Gorgeous. I still kind of can’t believe how good his voice sounds on this song. If I had seen this performance when it actually aired, I think I may have just become a full-blown Kris fan right then and there. Sigh.

I just skip Lil’s performances. I’m terrible.

I…still don’t know what to do with “Ring of Fire”. I like that Adam took risks, and I even think that the arrangement of the song is pretty cool, but the performance….I don’t even know. I still kind of just sit there slack-jawed every time I watch it, and then kind of nervously giggle after it’s over. Adam just has that effect on people I guess.

Scott makes me so happy. Just…Scott! Every time I see him I smile. I kind of think he has a terrible voice, and he probably only made it as far as he did because he’s blind, but he’s just so funny! I kind of can’t wait to see him on tour.

Alexis picks the best songs. And actually, I was expecting her to sound worse because it was her elimination week, but I didn’t think she sounded too bad. There were certainly people who were worse than her this week (like Michael on whatever stupid song he sang). Still, I don’t really like her personality. She’s got a lot of attitude and comes across kind of annoying to be honest.

Danny has a good voice but is a terrible singer. Terrible. He’s either breathy and pitchy when he’s singing softly, or he’s shouting as loudly as he can. There’s no middle ground with him. Which makes all of his performances sound-alike and unsubtle and icky. He was not "brilliant" either, Paula jeez.

‘Noop was good this week. His voice is so pretty, if a little bit boring.

I’m pretty sure this was the best Megan performance of the whole competition. I legit think she sounded kind of really good and cool here. She has a very interesting voice. She often flounders in her live performances, but this week’s was nice.

This was Matt’s best performance ever. If Matt had been able to sustain this level over the whole competition he would have gone way further. I actually just went and downloaded his studio recording because I liked this performance so much. I feel really happy for him watching this, yet at the same time kind of frustrated because I don’t think he ever matched this performance.

No comments: