Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Top 11: Billboard #1 Hits/Teen Idol/Miley Cyrus Is a Talentless Hack Night!



Welcome to Week __ of American Idol Recap (I have no idea what number week it is, Zozizzle, gosh)! This week, Mind Grapes and I have no idea what tonight's night is officially called, hence the title above. The only thing in the title we're sure of is the part about Miley Cyrus being a hack. That never changes.

And now, on to the opening shots we're all familiar with!
Ryan's hair! Ellen's jaunty scarf! Kara's flirting with Simon! Simon's low-neck T-shirts! And his maddening metaphors!

Before we get into this thing, the question that's on everyone's minds I'm sure: why is Miley Cyrus the mentor this week?!

MG:  ASL;DFJ;LSDKJF;KLADSJF;LSDJF;J I HATE YOU MILEY CYRUS, YOU TALENTLESS HACK!  *nodding my head like 'yeah'* though
Z: Well put, Mind Grapes. Well, put. *yeah, yeah, it's a party in the U.S.A.!* (Crap, it's so darn catchy!)

First up is Lee!!! Singing: "The Letter" by The Box Tops!
Z: He's sans guitar! This is a welcome surprise. He seems a little less nervous now, which is good. Mind Grapes has just pointed out the lone Asian trumpeter to me--also a plus for me in this performance. He's still got some nerves, he isn't moving around the stage as much as he could be. Good vocal, but he's still kinda stiff to me.
MG: This was the most emotion I've ever seen from Lee.  I liked that probably the best out of anything he's ever done.  He's finally lightened up a bit and his voice sounds good.  I'm glad for him, even though there's still a spark missing.  And all of a sudden I'm finding him kind of cute?  Am I being won over by New Gokey? :O

KRIS ALLEN COMMERCIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

Z: Do my eyes deceive me? Mind Grapes falling for Gokey 2.0?! What is the world coming to...

Anyways, back to the show!
Paige's song is "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins!
Z: Stairs! The stairs move! She's being wildly pitchy...it isn't sounding good. Oh, well, now that she's belting, she sounds better. She sings well when she hits that sweet spot, but not when she has to sing softly. Not gonna lie, that performance hurt a little bit.
MG:  Oh Paige.  You did so much better when you were sick.  That really was terrible.  What was that? She was all over the place.  Should have sung Tarzan.

Justin Bieber's everywhere in TV land! It's scary that a singing baby has this much power over teenage girls.

Aaaand we're back! My ~favorite person~ Tim Urban is up! And he's singing "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen. Ooh, a legendary Queen song--a tall order for young Tim.
Z: Whoa! He slid across the stage! Way to play to your strengths, Timmy. He doesn't sound too bad, actually. It's probably one of his better performances. He's got those teenage girls in the palm of his hands no doubt. But Simon will probably hate him.
MG:  TIM FOR IDOL! TAKE TIM TO THE TOP! TIM FOR '10 IDOL! I can't stop laughing right now. Tim is my favorite contestant of all time.  I love you, Tim.  Never leave me....

Up next is Aaron! And he's got a touch of laryngitis, oh, no! Paige, quit breathing on all the glasses in the house.
His song? "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith.
Z: He always adds a country twang to every song he sings, and it kinda fits this song. Randy was really digging him; he's a fan, and I can see why. He made a good song choice, and he pulled through despite his -itis. Good job, Fetus!
MG:  Aw Aaron. You could tell he was struggling with it a bit, but it was still pretty good.  I just like him.  He's such a cutie.  I want to squish him.

And now.....Bow.er.sox!!! Bow.er.sox!!!! Singing a classic Janis Joplin song "Me and Bobby McGee"!
Z: *FIST PUMP*!!!!! That is all. Homegirl leaves me speechless time and again.
MG:  SHE. IS. A. DELIGHT.  I love her so much.  That was a fantastic performance.  I keep thinking I'm gonna be let down by her, but I never am.  The end of that performance was amazing.

Who could follow that, honestly? Oh, it's Big Mike singing "When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge.
Z: Mike always sounds great, and his glory notes are spot on. I actually believe him when he sings. I can't really say the same for all the other contestants. Awesome falsetto, Big Mike. You're definitely making your wife proud.
MG:  I'm not really a ~fan per se, but Mike has sang extremely in tune every single week.  I do think it was a tad boring though.  Too much ice cream.  I still think Mike is going to make it really far.

And next up is Mind Grapes' ~favorite person~ Andrew Garcia! Can the one-trick pony wow the judges? I hope we don't have to crown him the "undercover Gokey" tonight. His song? "Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye.
Z: Good on you, Miley, for making Andrew drop the guitar! He still is kind of awkward without it, though. And he doesn't sound good...he's really really pitchy. Simon's going to hate it.
MG: That was terrible.  Awkward and out of tune.  He should have stuck with the guitar, because he looks like such an awkward turtle without it.  Miley, you were wrong.  He is not an R&B soul singer at all.  I don't know what to do with him, so he should just leave.

And next up is Katie singing "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie. This is probably the most current song choice she's made.
Z: Why are girls screaming, interrupting the quiet intro? Darn kids...It looks like she's having fun, despite being pitchy. She was all right, dawg.
MG:  Meh.

Naked Casey's song is "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News!
Z: He's got the guitar this week! Will he move around the stage? That's lookin' like a 'no'. His vocals are awesome, but he's just standing behind the mike again. Grease the hinges, Casey!!! You gotta be loosey-goosey, baby, loosey-goosey. A sign of life! He moved at the end when he started riffing! But will it be enough?
MG: I think that was my favorite Casey performance of the season.  I still think he needs to move around a bit more, but overall it was good.  He was smiling at least.  Although to me, Casey always looks like he has no idea what he's doing on the show lol.

Didi!!!!!!!! "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt. Usually, we hear the Linda Ronstadt comparison as an insult from Simon, but surprise! Someone's singing an actual Linda Ronstadt song!
Z: She's singing a slower, jazzy version of the song. Didi's bringing the sass!!! I'm digging her tone, as always. Mind Grapes is dancing. That's high praise indeed.
MG:  WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT?! THAT WAS AWESOME! THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME! SHE SOUNDED PERFECT! I LOVED THAT PERFORMANCE!  D:  For real?  For real real?  I just....um...I thought that was good.  Why are they talking about?  This is sad making. I am sad :(


Aaaannnndd in the pimp spot is...the girl with the titan-esque name, SIOBHAN MAGNUS, singing "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder!!!
Z: She's rocking an interesting lace number with a faux hawk. I like how she performs--she's not afraid to rock the stage. Gotta agree with MG, though, her screaming thing at the ends of songs is getting a little tiresome. It's bordering on cliche.
MG:  She does have a great voice.  But if she is going to scream like that every week, it's going to get old really fast.  And I don't even think those notes are that impressive.  They're not even notes! It's just screaming!  Ugh sorry, I'm still pissed about Didi.


MG: Best of the night: Crystal
Who's going home: Paige
Save Didi though! :(
Z: Ditto with MG's picks. Pack up, Paige! And...maybe Andrew should get his luggage ready? Perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.
As always, Crystal amazes me. I always love me some Bowersox.

No comments: