Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Once


I'm really really bad with movie reviews (See: my Hangover review), but I had to make a quick post recommending one of the best movies I've seen in a while, Once. True, I'm late to the bandwagon and only really watched it now because of Kris Allen (omg stop talking about American Idol!), but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it any less. It is a brilliant little movie with fantastic actors, amazing songs, and an ending that made me cry like a baby! I actually just went and bought the soundtrack and now I can't stop listening to it. It's a quiet, passionate movie that really speaks to the power of music and how it brings people together.

"Falling Slowly" is maybe one of the greatest songs ever. The scene where they learn it together gave me goosebumps, and it playing over the end of the movie was pretty much the reason I cried so hard. Here's a link if you want to listen to it. (Oh, and uh, here's a link to listen to Kris's version. IDK it's pretty good I guess...). I also really like "If You Want Me", but all of the songs are great!

The movie is definitely an "indie" movie so I understand if it might not be for everyone, but I have to urge you to give it a shot. I really think it has a lot of interesting things to say about relationships and music, and I was really really glad I watched it, even if it did make me cry.

2 comments:

zozizzle said...

Yay!!! You finally saw it!!! I, too, absolutely love that scene in the music shop when they sing 'falling slowly' together. I also really like the scene where they're both riding the bus and the guy sings "Hoover-Fixer-Sucker-guy." The dinner scene where everyone sings is pretty amazing, too. Heck, what am I saying...pretty much all the scenes are great.

Lea said...

I love "Hoover-Fixer-Sucker-Guy"! I seriously can't stop listening to the soundtrack. All of the songs are SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! And, yes, all of the scenes are great too :)

I really really enjoyed this movie a lot :D