Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Surreal is the word you're looking for!



So last night we as a country discovered who our next President was going to be for the next four years. And I'm proud to say that Barack Obama is my president.

All the excitement of that night led me and my friends to create a memory that I won't be able to forget in my old age. From hearing the news of this historic event my friends and I didn't know how to express all the excitement that arose in us, so like many others on our campus we ran outside.

This lead to a the best random experience of my life. Where we as students and as citizens of the beautiful USA congregated on the diag! There were so many bodies and voices gathered there that were probably heard by their government for the first time.


check out this crowd!

This gathering expressed their love for their country and their newly elected President, with chants, that were part of his campaign. Along with their own personal feelings.

Somethings we chanted last night/early this morning
1. Obama
2. Yes we can/did
3. No More BUSH!!!

And among other things singing our beautiful national anthem. I can truly say that this was probably the first time I sang it with true contentment and relation to the words in the song.

After chanting for a bit we eventually decided to take our joys to the street and I did something slightly dangerous, which was being a part of a march and blocking the flow of traffic.
This was just how my friends and I spent some of our times after this news. And I have to say that I dream and hope that we never loose this excitement and never forget the memories and opportuniteis afforded to us in this democracy and in hand with our new President. President Obama.

2 comments:

Lea said...

This is so awesome, Good Grief! I love that picture :)

I know I wasn't there, but from the sounds outside my apartment I could tell it was absolutely crazy! What a cool thing you guys participated in. I'm sure it will be something you will never forget. :)

zozizzle said...

Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could've been there. Last night marked a wonderful time in our country, when people came together and were truly excited about where this new administration could lead us. It's so cool you got to be there at the Diag! It'll definitely be an amazing story you can pass down to your kin.