Friday, October 17, 2008

Veronica Mars Season 2: Why I hate taking the bus


This post won't be as long and complex as my season 1 post, only because I don't feel like I need to go on again about how amazing this show is. Season 2 still had some of the best acting, writing, music, character development, production values, etc. than any show on television. Instead, I just want to mention some of the differences between the two seasons and what I liked and disliked throughout season 2.

Still got those spoilers.

Season 2 was really good. Let me just state that straight off. I enjoyed season 2 an inordinate amount, and was sad when I watched the finale and knew it was all over. That being said, season 2 could not live up to season 1. I'll admit that with a season as amazing as the first, it would be really hard to match it let alone top it, but there were still some disappointments while watching season 2.
Namely, the main mystery. While the bus crash story line was a solid mystery with potential to be as interesting as the first season mystery, I felt that the season faltered a little in the execution of it. And that's not to say that the mystery didn't make sense, I just think the pacing of it was a little off. The reason why the season 1 mystery was so good was because Veronica really had a vested interest in it and was actively pursuing the truth in every episode. Veronica herself was the one who was constantly pushing the story forward. In season 2, I didn't feel like this happened as much. The reason why the last 5 or so episodes of season 2 were so good was because it felt like Veronica finally got interested in the bus story line. Throughout the season, Veronica either didn't care about the crash, or she was sidetracked by other things. I think this is fine for the show to want Veronica to care about other things, but I think it was bad for the viewers because we ended up not having as vested an interest in the story, because our protagonist didn't have a vested interest. In fact, because Veronica was never really driving a story line forward in the season, it was the other characters who had to do it for her. Often times, Keith was the one trying to figure out what was going on by breaking into the bus, investigating the mayor, helping out Terrence Cook, etc. Logan had a complex story line he was pursuing strongly every episode and Weevil had his own as well. I'm not saying that Veronica didn't care eventually, because she did. The last few episodes really clicked because of the fact that Veronica was investigating every possible lead. But because everything was saved until the end, there was so much to reveal and not enough time to reveal it, causing every episode (especially the last two) to feel overstuffed, and like there was not enough time to explore everything the amount they should have been explored. I think this hurt the cohesion of the season as a whole, and made it harder for the viewer to care about the mystery compared to the investment brought on through season 1.
The other problem I had with the season was the resolution to the mystery. The season 1 reveal of the killer was surprising, but in a way that made sense and was satisfying. The reveal that Beaver was responsible for the bus crash was surprising in a way that made sense on a plot level, but not on a character level and therefore wasn't as satisfying as I wanted it to be. It' s been a few days after I watched the finale and I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that Beaver was a psychotic serial killer, especially because he's been one of my favorite characters all season. But like I said before, it's not that it didn't make sense with the clues that the show had given us. I was absolutely astounded as to how every little thing came together in the end, and how seemingly minor plot points came back to be really important. The amount of planning and plotting out that had to take on the writer's behalf is extremely impressive and another reason why this show is so amazing. So that didn't bother me. What bothered me was just...it was Beaver! Ok, I know that the sweet, innocent Beaver we'd been seeing all season was supposed to be just an act, but what he actually did and how he did it is the sign of a freaking evil mastermind! Like, you don't act the way Beaver did just because you want to keep your secret! And I know, he was damaged from what happened with the mayor and constantly looked down upon by his family and others, but I guess I wanted to see more of the effects from that. Like, I wanted to see that he was turned to do what he did because of his deep emotional trauma. But in the scene where he confronts Veronica on the roof, all I saw was someone who evilly enjoyed being a serial killer. Maybe I wanted to see more remorse or emotion or I don't know. I only got that a little bit right before he jumps, when he loses the gun and starts yelling that his name is Cassidy. It seemed like maybe in that moment, what he did and the ramifications of what he did kind of fully hit him or something. He just looked like a scared, messed up kid. I guess I kind of wanted more of that, instead of thinking of Beaver as this cold hearted killer, because that just didn't seem real to me. Unfortunately, because the finale had to cram so much stuff into it, there wasn't enough time to focus on Beaver's motivations and the ramifications of what he did as much as I may have wanted them to. I'm also still unsure on how I feel about Beaver being the one who raped Veronica. It seems to invalidate all of the emotions felt in "A Trip to the Dentist", plus it felt a little cheap. Still, I've been trying to keep an open mind about the Beaver thing and hope that it will become more acceptable the more I think about it. We'll see.

Ok, but enough about all that negative stuff! I really did love this season a whole lot. Let me tell you why:
Logan/Veronica. Oh yes, I'm starting off with these two. And let me just say that when I say Logan/Veronica, I also mean Logan and Veronica. Seperately. Because I think I enjoyed their antagonistic (yet sexual tension-filled) bickering just as much as their romantic moments. I sometimes felt that when the plot lines multiplied and things got confusing on the mystery front, it was Logan and Veronica who, for me, were often times keeping me invested in the show. I love those two characters and those two actors SO much that Veronica Mars would never ever be as good without them. I think the show did an interesting thing by not having those two be together at the beginning of the season. I admit to LOVING the flashbacks of them over the summer during "Normal is the Watchword", but I actually liked that Veronica was with Duncan for half the season. Not because I like Duncan or anything. I don't really like him. He's passive and weird and boring and NOT a good match for Veronica at all. But more for the fact that having Duncan and Veronica together meant that Logan and Veronica couldn't be together. Strange words from a LoVe supporter, I know. But for me, during the season it never really felt right that those two should have rushed into a relationship. They both were preoccupied with other things. Logan, with trying to prove his innocence in the Felix murder and Veronica with...Duncan, but later with the bus crash mystery. They both weren't really at good places to start a relationship (especially Logan), and I like that they used the whole second season to build that relationship up again. Which led to some awesome scenes of them snarking at each other, yet because the actors are so good you could always sense the lingering feelings between them. Of course, I LOVED the romantic scenes they had between them as well. The "epicness" label for this post was put there all because of them. Because Logan, at the Alterna-Prom, talking about how their relationship was epic, "spanning years and continents. Lives ruined, blood shed, epic," was the absolute perfect description for what their relationship had become. There was never any doubt in my mind, since all the way back at the end of season 1, that these two were meant to be together, even with all the hardships. I knew that Veronica and boring old Duncan weren't going to last. Or Logan and stupid, naive Hannah. These were all just distractions from the main event. And when Logan embraced Veronica on the roof of the Neptune Grand in "Not Pictured", I breathed a sigh of relief. Because while everything else in the show may have been in turmoil, it finally felt like everything was as it should be.
One more thing that I really liked and I feel like I have to mention, was the emergence of some of the secondary characters. I liked that Mac got more screen time and development. I loved that Beaver got more development until, well, you know. But most of all, Dick. I'm in love with that guy, heh. And I know I'm not really supposed to since he's basically the jerky, spoiled, unsympathetic bully of the show. But I can't help it, every thing he says cracks me up. I love it when he's on screen!

Holy crap this turned into another term paper! This was supposed to be shorter than my season 1 post! Oops. Well, for those of you who have made it this far, thanks for reading. Based on how fast I got through the first 2 seasons, I'll probably be done with season 3 pretty soon. Look forward to another million word essay on that season in the near future!

2 comments:

Andy said...

I love this episode. It's gone down in my books as one of the best Veronica episodes so far this season. Rob Thomas...can i marry you? or better yet...Jason Dohring?????
Enjoi all eps Download Veronica Wars here..

MightyMaxine said...

Wow! You said a ton in that post :P

So...I know that you hated the way the mystery was solved and I have to agree with the fact that they did ruin Beaver/Cassidy as a character but I overall liked the ending to that mystery although it did ruin certain things, such as how Veronica lost her Vcard.

Also I do agree that the creators spent more time on the secondary character and that it was most certainly well spent time :)

Finally on the LoVe front I do love all that happened between them especially the epi "Look Who's Stalking" so good and so sad, but always honest and that's something I can count of the creators to be. To be completely honest and I have no regrets or hatred towards the relationship between Duncan and Veronica. I actually liked it a ton and ultimately I see it as a well-needed rest from the Logan drama.
WOWSERS!! This comment is turning out to be as long as your post :P