Tuesday, April 6, 2010

American Idol Season 9 Top 9: Let's butcher the Beatles!



I must first apologize for no AI post last week.  Most distressing.

It's Lennon/McCartney week tonight! Yay! Train wrecks!  Before we start however, I would like to have a moment of silence for my poor, sweet, beautiful Didi, who did not deserve to go home last week, but has left us just the same :(

......


How depressing is it that my favorite guy and my favorite girl have already been eliminated? :/


PAUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL  <3______<3

Aaron - The Long and Winding Road
Aaron is Yoda apparently.  This is so sleepy.  JFC Aaron, can you not make every song you sing so freaking boring?  He made this beautiful song so dreary.  It never goes anywhere.  He needed to add something somewhere.  Kick it up a notch!  OMG Simon just eye rolled at Aaron's answer haha that was amazing. Simon, you saucy minx.

Katie Stevens - Let It Be
I hate her song choice, but I knew I would hate her choice no matter what she did.  Kris sang this on Idol a few weeks ago and was amazing, so, yeah, there's no way I'm going to like this.  Once again, her voice isn't bad at all, but it's so not interesting.  At least she changed her song up more than Aaron did.  The end picks up in tempo, but it still never really goes anywhere that amazing.  Randy thinks it's her best performance, and...yeah, I guess it is.  She booooores me, and I just don't like her so she can GTFO.

Andrew - Can't Buy Me Love
His shirt is too yellow.  He's made the song a little more funky.  The chorus is pretty close to the original though.  I'm enjoying this, I suppose.  Despite the fact that he sped up the song, his vocals are still a little bland.  The judges think it's all a bit corny, and yeah.

Big Mike - Eleanor Rigby
I am intrigued.  Ooooh strings on the stage.  Oh hot damn, it's an R&B version of the song.  This is a really interesting arrangement.  Way WAY different from the original.  I'm bobbing my head, but I have to be honest, I'm not sure if I like it.  When it worked it was awesome, the ending was really cool and powerful.  But there were parts to it that didn't really work.  Still, while I'm not sure I loved it, I have to give him props for trying something so different.

Crystal Bowersox - Come Together
Ok, Crystal, I like you.  So I will forgive you for singing a song Kris already sang on the show (and which I suspect you'll sing much differently).  Nooooo Crystal has a cold.  It's ok, she'll still be better than everyone else.  Her baby is so cute!  Oh holy shit, is that a fucking Didgeridoo?!  She's done her Crystal thang to it.  Made it really folksy and cool.  The breakdown is really really awesome, and of course she totally lets loose at the end and proves what an amazing singer she is.  Solid solid performance.  DIDGERIDOO!!!!!!!

Tim - All My Lovin
Smiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile.  Electric guitar?  This is such a good song choice for him lol.  OMG he has Beatles hair hahaha.  Tim, I love you.  He didn't really change the song around very much, but whatever, it's working for him.  Tiiiiiiim, I don't even know what to say lol. He's just Tim.  Poor Tim though, they're so condescending to him and it bothers me.  Like, a lot.  It makes me want to vote for him.

Casey - Jealous Guy
This is a really interesting song choice.  I would never have even thought of it, but it's such a good song.  Acoustic guitar with cello! Mmmmm cello.  Bonus points for that.  This is a really good move by Casey.  I finally feel like I can focus on his vocals.  Dude, it looks like he's gonna cry.  This is emotional.  I liked it.  That was a fantastic arrangement.   Definitely his best performance.  I'm happy for him.

Siobhan - Across the Universe
Her outfit is very strange.  This is just emphasizing how much I don't really care for her voice.  It sounds so nasally.  She's singing it fine, but it just sounds like she's struggling or something.  I know she isn't, but it sounds like she is.  It's not really effortless. Hey, no screaming though.  That's good.  I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't that impressed.  I wish I liked her voice better :/

Lee - Hey Jude
Lee is a worry wart.  This is not surprising.  OMG CRYSTAL JUST SAID LEE AND ANDREW WOULD HAVE DANNY GOKEY BABIES! I LOVE HER!!!!!  Ahem, OK, back to Lee.  He hasn't really changed the song around that much and he's a bit pitchy.  It's that problem he's always had where he sounds better when he's screaming than when he's just singing normally.  WAT? BAGPIPES!!!!!  WTF?!  OMG I THINK HE'S OUTDONE THE DIDGERIDOO AND I DID NOT THINK THAT WAS POSSIBLE.  ....................that was the weirdest performance I've ever seen on Idol OMFG LOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL.  I don't even know right now.  I don't even know.  All I can think about is man in kilt with bagpipes.  I don't even know if it was a good performance, but I'm kind of in love with Lee over the fact that he was just like.....BAGPIPES! THIS PERFORMANCE NEEDS BAGPIPES!  Just...LOL forever.

Best of the night:  Casey.  It was a great performance and there was the surprise factor there too.  Second best is a tie b/w the guy who played the Didgeridoo and the guy who played the Bagpipes.

Who's going home:  Aaron, maybe? Could it possibly be time for Tim?  Andrew, mayhaps?

I feel like this is the week where Crystal, Casey, and Lee are firmly in the front runner category.  But we'll have to see what happens.

DIDGERIDOO!

2 comments:

Mrs. Jennifer Zbytowski said...

Casey was amazing and at this point I'm all for a Crystal/Casey final two. Make it happen, America!

I'm hoping Andrew goes home this week, but it will probably be Aaron. KELLY KELLY!

When Lee was performing and the camera cut to the wide shot with the stairs and I was like, "Hmm, what's going to happen here?" and then a shadowy figure slowly emerged at the top of the stairs, I thought at first it was maybe a man in a bunny suit or some other type of furry. I also thought I was on drugs or dreaming it.

But then as the creature continued its slow descent I suddenly realized, "No, that's not a furry... in fact... oh no but it can't be..."

But it was and in a flash, in an instant, inexplicably and with great joy I knew it to be true: "OMG IT'S FREAKING BAGPIPES!!111!! A BAGPIPE PLAYER!!!!! IT'S A BAGPIPE PLAYER IN TRADITIONAL BAGPIPE PLAYER REGALIA!!11213242@!@!@!1!!!!! THIS IS THE MOST RIDICULOUS MOMENT OF MY LIFE!!1!!!!!@!@@@!!"

After that I forgot everything else.

But I think my favorite part of the show, actually, was "Danny Gokey babies."

This is why Crystal wins at life.

Lea said...

i love this comment lol

and lol that your first reaction was to think it was a furry. Perhaps you have Donnie Darko on the brain

it was rather awesome though, wasn't it?

Casey/Crystal final 2 makes me feel all tingly inside