Thursday, February 19, 2009

McBadAss > McDreamy

I have a confession to make. It's a little embarrassing, but one that I think I need to expose for the good of the world. That confession: I've been watching Grey's Anatomy. Ok, so "watching" is a relative term. I've been reading recaps and keeping up with all the stories while watching YouTube clips of all the scenes featuring a certain character. You see, I actually used to watch Grey's Anatomy. Back during season 2, when they had their big "code black" superbowl episode? Yeah, I watched that. And then continued to watch the rest of the season, because well, everyone did. I also watched the first season on DVD with a friend that summer, but that was about the extent of my Grey's watching. I watched episodes here and there during the other seasons and sort of kept tabs on it, but that was really only so I could appear to know what my friends were talking about when squeeing about the latest doctor hookup. I don't really like the show. Oh sure, it's dramatic and well made and it has good actors, but the whole constant doctor hookup thing? Really not my kind of show. I also ended up hating the majority of the characters by the end of the second season. And really, why would you watch something you hated? So I stopped.
But now I've started again (sorta). Why? Here comes my secret, it's all because of this man:
Guh. Kevin McKidd. So I used to watch Rome. Ok, so I used to watch the first season of Rome, but stopped because the show was just a little too hardcore for me. But my favorite character was always Vorenus, and I've always been blown away by Kevin's performances. I watched Journeyman because of him! And that wasn't even that good of a show! So, it goes without saying now that I traveled to Grey's for him as well. It initially started out as me just enjoying watching him perform, but now I'm really invested in his character, Owen Hunt. He's an incredibly flawed, messed up character, dealing with major PTSD after coming back from Iraq, but he also has a softer, gentler side that is really struggling to make sense of his life. Kevin brings so much to his character and I've fallen head over heels not only for Owen, but for his relationship with Cristina as well. Cristina was one of the few characters who I didn't end up hating while I was a regular Grey's watcher, and their relationship has been evolving slowly and kind of beautifully. Even with the limited screen time these two get, I already believe they are meant to be. It's so refreshing to see a relationship on that show being taken slowly and not just resorting to hopping in bed at the first sign of attraction.
Just watch this scene between these two. Not only does it show how awesome Kevin is (and how messed up his character is), but how him and Cristina are slowly starting to understand and care for each other:



There's a girl who posts all of the Owen and Owen/Cristina scenes on YouTube after the episodes air and she is my hero (link). Most of the time, I just watch the YouTube clips instead of the episodes, but tonight there is not only no Office, but there's no Supernatural as well so it looks like I get to watch my McBadAss instead! I still think the show is pretty bad, and I'm slightly annoyed that I have to deal with those annoying Private Practice people because of the "crossover event" (seriously, what is with that show? Addison used to be my favorite character on Grey's, but Private Practice is pretty horrible), but I'm happy I get to look forward to more Owen/Cristina!

No comments: