Friday, September 21, 2012

Television for the Week of September 16th


This is where I talk about all the tv I watched during the week. Featuring Boardwalk Empire, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and Project Runway.

Boardwalk Empire, Season 3 Episode 1 'Resolutions'
  • I swore off this show forever after the finale last year (as documented here), because I couldn't imagine this show without Jimmy. I'm still pretty upset about Jimmy's death and the elimination of not only the show's most interesting character, but also my favorite character and actor to watch for the past 2 seasons. I don't know if I'll ever really be ok with the decision to kill Jimmy off when they did, but the anger and betrayal I felt after the finale has dissapated a bit. The bitterness will never go away, but the pain is beginning to heal.  /overdramatic
  • In that way, I decided to check out the Season 3 premiere, mostly because all of my other Sunday night shows have concluded and I was curious to see if I still cared about anyone on the show.
  • And hey, turns out? There are still people I care about. Not as much as Jimmy and definitely at varying levels, but I found enjoyment in the episode as each character was reintroduced and I found that I missed them just a little bit.
  • Mostly: Mickey Doyle.  I only kid a little bit. Mickey has been a steady presence of joy and laughter for me since the very beginning. And I love that he's still around, even when so many others have fallen around him. I'm in love.
  • Maybe it's wrong, but I LOVE Al Capone. That actor is so freaking fantastic and I just love watching him on the show. Also, in the past week, that actor has shown up in 2 movies I've watched with his real British accent and it always throws me off so much.
  • Speaking of BE actors being in other things, Arnold Rothstein was in Men In Black 3 being very very cheery and un-Rothstein-like and it freaked me out so much, I could not concentrate on the movie at all. Which wasn't a huge loss since the movie wasn't very good, but Arnold Rothstein was definitely the best part of the whole thing.
  • The Marvelous Misadventures of Nelson Van Alden were fantastic. I remember when I hated him in the first season, but somewhere around the end of Season 2, all of his misfortune became tragically hilarious. Everything about him in this episode was amazing. For the first time I think I might be the most excited for his storyline.
  • As far as the new guy goes, you know you are crazytownbananapants when you make all of the other gangsters on the show look tame and normal. Good lord, I hate this guy already.
  • I also hate Nucky. Ok, hate is maybe a strong word. I just really dislike him. I felt a general unease about him last season, but there were times I couldn't help but root for him because of everyone turning against him. But him becoming "full gangster" as Season 2 went on just wasn't that interesting to me and did nothing to help me gain sympathy. And then of course the Jimmy thing happened and that kind of tipped me over the edge. And nothing this episode has really changed that. Especially all of that grossness at the end. Which just further proves Margaret needs to go back to Owen.
  • So everything in this episode was entertaining on a general surface level and I was kind of just enjoying the ride it was taking me on without thinking about anything too hard. And then all the Richard stuff happened. And then I was consumed by an ocean of feelings.
  • Oh, Richard. Richard Richard Richard...He's always been my 2nd favorite character on the show, but I had forgotten how much I really really cared for him. And his storyline now is tearing me apart. Every time he was onscreen with Jimmy's son was so heart clench-y I just wanted to lay down face first on the floor in a puddle of my own tears. I care! I care about Richard so much! How could I ever think I could abandon this show when Richard's still on it being heartbreaking?! And now I'm getting invested in Jimmy and Angela's poor son and Richard needs to save him from Gillian and oh god oh god Richard! ;___;
  • On a related note, I'm glad Richard killed Manny, but the way he did it was still way harsh. It was fitting in a way, but it was hard to watch.
  • So I'm going to continue to watch next week mostly for Richard and Mickey, but I've accepted the fact that I most likely will never be as into this show as I was for season 2. And I'm ok with that.
The Office, Season 9 Episode 1 'New Guys'
  • I think The Office will always be one of my favorite shows. I am fully aware that the last 3 seasons were not so great, but seasons 1-5 remain some of my favorite television ever.
  • So I go into the final season with mixed feelings. I initially had a feeling of sadness when I heard this season would be its last, followed by an overwhelming sense of relief. I think most of the Office's problems can be attributed to it going on just too long. The reason why the early seasons were so great is because they balanced hilarity with 'dramatic' storylines that had weight. The past few season have been spinning their wheels. Not really being able to take anyone to any definitive places because the show couldn't change that much.
  • And after this episode, I'm very happy this is its last season, because already I am extremely encouraged by what I saw.
  • The Jim storyline is what I've been waiting for for so long! In the early seasons we always wanted Jim to get out. We knew he had more in him than Dunder Mifflin, so seeing him finally start on that path was very satisfying. I can't wait to see what comes of it.
  • All of the Dwight stuff was really over the top of course, but I found myself laughing pretty hard at his bicycle copier trick. I've also always liked Clark Duke, so I'm interested to see more of his character this year.
  • It was a fun episode with a lot of exciting possibilities. Having Greg Daniels back as a more permanent presence is going to be really good I think. I can only hope one of my favorite shows will go out on top.
  • And while I laughed at stuff throughout the episode, nothing could compare to Creed's last monologue. Creed Bratton: Greatest Television Character of All Time. 
  • Not bad for a day in the life of a dog food company.
Parks and Recreation, Season 5 Episode 1 'Ms. Knope Goes to Washington'
  • Yay this show is back!
  • So this wasn't my favorite episode and I kind of guessed this was how the Ben/Leslie storyline was going to go from the moment Ben accepted the job in the finale, but I still really enjoyed seeing all of the characters back onscreen. I missed them!
  • The Tom and Ann relationship however, is still annoying. No matter what permutation you put them in. So I can only hope that goes away for a while.
  • I don't really have much to say about this episode. It was enjoyable, but not particularly hilarious (although I laugh at pretty much everything Andy says ever). I'll end with this though: I really want to go to the 'Leslie Knope Employment Enjoyment Summer Slam Grill Jam Fun-Splosion'.
 
Project Runway, Season 10 Episode 10 'I Get a Kick Out of Fashion'
  • Is it just me or has this season been kind of enjoyable? Nothing mindblowing, but just a really solid group of designers. There has been ~drama, but nothing too annoying and the judging for the most part has been pretty fair.
  • Better than the last few seasons at least. All-Stars doesn't really count because it was a special case and it pretty much existed to give Mondo a win (which I was happy about, but still), but Season 9 was dreadful and Season 8 was marred by Mondo's loss. So it's refreshing to get a season that hasn't mostly annoyed the crap out of me.
  • That being said, I don't generally like these 'make a costume' challenges, but this one turned out to be not so bad. There were no outright disasters and two really really good designs.
  • I knew Christopher was going to win and thought his design was very cool and creative, but my heart belongs to Dmitry and so I can't help but be a little disappointed he didn't win. His outfits are always so impecably made and I thought his was maybe more practical than Christopher's? I do like Christopher though so it's all good.
  • I always think Dmitry should win every week anyways though for his hilarious talking heads. He's so bitchy and dry. I want to be his best friend.
  • Ven goes home in an episode where I started to kind of feel bad for him. But he hasn't been good in a while, and I can understand his elimination this week.
  • Tim uttering the phrase "bitch slap that bitch" will never not be amazing.

No comments: