Monday, September 14, 2009

Mad Men and True Blood: Bizarro world

In what alternate reality am I living in that Mad Men has a crazier episode than True Blood?!

Ok, ok, so Sam turning into a giant white bull and stabbing a Maenad with his horn, thus removing her heart and killing her is crazier than anything that happened on Mad Men, but I was certainly more surprised while watching the 4th episode of Mad Men, "The Fog", than watching the finale of True Blood.

I really did enjoy both episodes immensely though. Some thoughts:

True Blood
  • The first half hour of this episode was awesome! It was crazy and scary and freaky and exactly what I want True Blood to be. The second half however...I understand wanting to have resolution, but there was a little too much resolution for my tastes. And some cliffhangers I didn't really care about.
  • Some cliffhangers I do care about: Sam and his quest to find his real parents. I love Sam so much it's kind of ridiculous. I love that he's getting his own storyline again. Very intriguing. Also, Jessica/Hoyt. I do love them together. And the fact that they are having problems now makes me sad. Hoyt's mom is stupid, btw.
  • Cliffhangers I don't care about: Bill. IDK, It's not just that I don't really like Bill, I just didn't really like the way the episode ended. Bill was gone and I kind of just sat there and went, "Oh...Ok". It was kind of anticlimactic or something. IDK it's hard to explain. I know he'll be fine next season anyways.
  • There was about 1 minute there where I thought the show killed off Sam and I screamed and despaired and vowed to never watch again. I never thought I would say this, but thank you Bill Compton!
  • There was a disturbing lack of Eric in this episode.
  • I thought Jason shooting Eggs was kind of...dumb. The way that scene was shot was not good. LOL at me totally forgetting that Tara used to be in love with Jason though. According to this interview with Alan Ball done after the finale, this could potentially bring them back together.
  • Yep, still in love with Michelle Forbes.
  • And...yeah, still in love with Jason Stackhouse :D
Mad Men
  • FUCK YEAH, DREAM SEQUENCES! I mean....what? That was some heavy stuff going on right there...and I loved it. I don't pretend to know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to this show, but I felt like a lot of it was setting up Betty to accept her role in life. Betty is so unhappy all the time because she can't get what she wants. But this episode did seem to imply that Betty believed that the new baby was going to make everything better. She could accept her role as a housewife and take care of the baby and everything was going to be OK. Of course, by the end of the episode, we see that's probably not the case.
  • "I left my lunch pail on the bus and I'm having a baby." Best line on this show ever yes/yes?
  • LOVED the scene with Peggy and Don in his office. That little scene said so much about both of them and where the show might be headed and both of those actors are so good and...this show is the greatest show on television right now. Fo real.
  • I enjoyed Duck's turtleneck.
  • Let's talk about Pete. No, I cannot talk about Pete. Because to talk about Pete would be to flail around and keysmash incoherently. That is how great my love for him is. I just...Just...No, can't do it. My love for him cannot be textually rendered.
I will miss you True Blood, but YAY more Mad Men! I think this might have been the best episode of the season so far.

No comments: