Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Heroes 3.12 "Our Father" and Chuck 2.10 "Chuck Versus the Delorean"

Heroes:  I have to admit, I kind of feel bad for writing all of that horrible stuff about Heroes in my last post, because this episode?  Probably the best episode of the whole season.  Of course, it wasn't without huge plot holes and annoyingness, but I actually really...enjoyed it!  Claire, for the first time in a very long time, wasn't bothering me, and the scene with Hiro and his mother was one of the best scenes this show has ever done.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I really liked everything with Hiro this episode, and was so glad he got his memories back, because 10 year old Hiro was a bit annoying.  Sylar was FANTASTIC!  That's the Sylar I know and love!  Although I wasn't able to really, truly enjoy evil, psychotic Sylar, because his character changes never make any sense at all and happen so quickly and frequently I can't keep track of them all, it doesn't really matter because dear lord do I enjoy watching Sylar be evil (and hilarious "Hm...It does tingle").  There were of course, some bad things (like, is Hiro really stuck in time again? Can you think of something a little more creative next time, writers?), but I was really kind of happy with this episode, and I hope that the rest of the season continues down that path.


Chuck:  This was maybe my most favorite episode of the whole season!  It had a perfect blend of humor and character moments, and it involved all of the characters and settings wonderfully.  I especially liked seeing Sarah's emotions over her dad, and having Chuck comfort her, proving in the process that those two really do love each other.  This show and its characters are fantastic, and I can't wait until the Christmas episode next week!

3 comments:

zozizzle said...

Mindgrapes, I too, got a little verklempt when I saw the scene between Hiro and his mother, and that's something because, as you know, I rarely get so much as misty-eyed when emotional scenes are on.
I also thought the scenes between Claire and Hiro--when they couldn't understand each other-- were very cute and had me laughing aloud.

Ah, Heroes, I hope you'll continue redeeming yourself and coming up with episodes that are more like this one.

The Derelict said...

Heroes is lame. ;)
Seriously, I can't believe that I -- I who was writing love letters to that show two seasons ago -- am now completely over it. I didn't even watch this last episode. I know I've done this before -- swearing off a show and then crawling back to it once it gets good again *coughLostcough* -- but with Heroes, I dunno, it's different.

I feel like the show has destroyed pretty much everything that once made it enjoyable (namely, the characters). With Lost there was always the problem that the writers didn't know what they were doing with the plot but the characters always remained appealing. Once they got the plot in line in season 4, the show came back strong. In the case of Heroes, character was king, and as you said, the ever-changing-ness of Sylar, the now-annoying Claire, the fact that characters change with the wind, it all adds up to Annoying and Stoopid.


However...
CHUCK!!!!!1111!!2121!!@@@!@!!!!!!
That is all.

Lea said...

Oh, Zozizzle. Finally showing a little emotion ;). I agree, however, that it was a wonderful scene and Masi did excellently with it. And yeah, the scene with Hiro and Claire was really cute and funny. Can you believe that's the first time those characters have "met"? Weird. Keep it up Heroes!

Derelict, I agree with you for sure. I really don't think there's anything Heroes can do to go back to the goodness of season 1. The characters have just changed too much to be fully redeemed. As much as I love Evil Sylar now, it's not the same as Evil Sylar of season 1 or even season 2. I wish I could quit like you, but I think I'm going to wait until this "chapter" is done and then make my decision.