Monday, May 16, 2011

Game of Thrones Episode Reaction 1.5 "The Wolf and the Lion"


This was definitely my favorite episode of the season as of right now. I adored the first 2 episodes, but I'll admit that episodes 3 and 4 were slightly less enjoyable. They were still great episodes of television and I liked them a lot, but I thought the pacing was a bit off and that the exposition was a little clunky, like they couldn't figure out how to seamlessly fit in the history of the series into the show. Through no fault of the writers, those episodes also featured a lot of "set-up" beats from the story. Episode 5 however is really when things start to pick up. What I liked about this episode is that it balanced the exciting, action-y plot of the book with introspective character moments written just for the screen. And they did it all without Dany or Jon! Something I didn't even realize until the episode had long ended. And while I love those 2 storylines on the show (especially all the Jon and Sam stuff from last episode), I didn't actually miss them; so engaged was I in this episode.

Three scenes in particular come to mind in showing how great the show is doing at adding even more background not in the book. The most powerful of which being the scene between Robert and Cersei. This scene was so good I immediately claimed this episode was the Best! Ever! after it was over. Their conversation about Lyanna kind of blew my mind, and with just a few lines Cersei became more fleshed out and actually more sympathetic to me than she ever was in the book. Their relationship is so sad and they are both just so messed up, and you can see the threads unraveling before your eyes. So many things in the series hinge on the decisions of those 2 characters and this scene went leaps and bounds in telling us why they do what they do. And I have to point out that both of those actors are friggin amazing. I've been especially impressed with Mark Addy. He was FANTASTIC this episode.

I also love that we would never have gotten a scene like the one between Varys and Littlefinger in the book. That's why this show is such a godsend!  It's something I've always wanted but never knew I did. And I still hate Littlefinger, but Aidan Gillen is doing a fantastic job at being just ambiguous enough to not know whether to trust. And I will always love Varys and his mind games (in fact, I have a ridiculous soft spot for Varys that cannot be explained). And those two characters battling it out like that? Beautiful! Also? Filled with sexual tension! It was palpable in Varys' eyes.

The Loras/Renly scene was one I had heard about but was a little aprehensive as to how they were going to play it, but man, I LOVED that scene. It's another one we could only get in the show as Renly/Loras is really only ever hinted at in the books (and something I never picked up on until AFTER I finished reading and saw some people talking about it and went, "ooooooh").  So much good stuff coming out of their conversation. I'm not sure whether this scene was as affective to non-readers, but besides setting up their secret relationship, we got an introduction on the Tyrells and their power, information about the dynamic between the Baratheon brothers (Stannis mention!), and what kind of person Renly is as well as planting the seeds for his storyline in the second season. These characters become even more important later and this scene is there as a reminder. I also will not deny the eye-candy. No, I will not (besides that though, I'm really enjoying both of those actors in their roles. Loras is almost exactly how I imagined him).

As far as the rest of the episode goes, the action scenes were suitably tense and violent as all get out. Like, really violent. Does every neck need to be slashed in a way that a fountain of blood flies out in a 10 foot radius? And I really didn't need to see that horse get killed that way D: I was also just starting to fall in love with Jory again and now he's dead! And it's made even sadder when you think back to the conversation he had with Jaime in the last episode :(
I don't need to mention Jaime in every review I do, but I am still loving Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's performance so much. His face in the entire last scene of the episode was just !!!!!!! so much love (even while he's doing a bad, bad thing). But all of the actors on this show are doing really phenomenal work. In fact, this show is just kind of phenomenal.

Bullet points so I'll stop the rambling:
  • Arya's repeated, exasperated "I'm a girl!" is fantastic.
  • Continuing to absolutely LOVE the actor who plays the Hound. MOAR HOUND!
  • Lancel makes me laugh every time he's onscreen. Stupid Lancel.
  • UNNECESSARY THEON NAKEDNESS IS UNNECESSARY! No...no no no no.
  • And are they overexplaining the Greyjoy thing? I know Theon becomes more important later, but we went 3 episodes where he was just the random guy who hung out with Robb, and now all of a sudden it's like Greyjoy history lesson every episode! Effin Greyjoys.
  • Yeah, so, they totally didn't shy away from the total batshit craziness of Lysa and the Eyrie. The breastfeeding was always so disturbing to me in the books, but I didn't think they would actually SHOW IT in the show. But no, it was just...right there. (Catelyn's look of "oh shi-" during that whole scene was amazing).
  • I did however, love the way they did the sky cells.
  • I also have a strange soft spot for Bronn in the books. And I am loving him right now in the show.
  • I laughed at first at the scene with Bran reciting the places with their sigils and words because I thought it was just another way for the show to slip in some lore and exposition. However, that scene ended up being quite sad and heartbreaking for young Bran. I just want to hug him! Cutest child actor ever!
  • MOAR ROBB!
Shit it going to continue to go down more and more with each passing episode. I know what's going to happen, but I seriously can't wait :D

2 comments:

zozizzle said...

A tip of the cap to you, sir! This was an excellent post. I was basically nodding in agreement throughout the whole thing.
The 3 scenes you mentioned were standouts for me as well. There was so much pain in Robert and Cersei's exchange. To think that they could've been marginally happy once, but too many things went awry.

I think Varys and Littlefinger should have a confrontational scene every episode. Or a spinoff called 'The Twisted Tales of Varys and Littlefinger: Oh, the Webs We Weave." It'd basically chronicle the deception they engage in everyday with a touch of 'Spy vs. Spy'. I'd watch it.

Maybe it's because I haven't gotten far enough in the books yet (or I've forgotten that it was mentioned), but I didn't know the history of Loras' family. That scene provided something I didn't quite grasp about Renly--why he would want to even make a play for the iron throne and how he would have the means and manpower to do it.

The Eyrie was in the credits! And it looked even more amazing than I imagined. Lysa just flat out scares me. She probably creeps me out me just as much as the eyepatch lady from Doctor Who does you. That. Much.

p.s. My only quibble with the episode? Too much Greyjoy. In so many ways.

Lea said...

Thank you, m'dear!

I most definitely would watch that show. They could see who is the most untrustworthy and shady every week! It'll be great! And there will be frequent cameos by beard!burns of course.

Knowing where you are in Clash of Kings, I don't think you're quite at the part yet where you learn about the Tyrells and how they relate to Renly's campaign, but it's soon!
I agree with you about Renly. I like that the show is setting up Renly as sort of the overlooked brother who has something to prove.

Eee I got so excited when we got a new part of the credits. The credits are fun and interactive! Not many shows can say that.

And Lysa is so cray cray 0_0 That casting was perfect. (damn, she must scare you a lot if that's the case!)

Go. Away. Greyjoys.